Saturday, March 19, 2011

To Be Alone or Not To Be Alone

Spicin' up Saturdays with Joni

The other night Jaron and I were flipping through the channels when we came across a movie. I don't even know the title or story line but a husband and wife were driving in the car having an argument. The husband asked the wife, "Do you ever fantasize about leaving me for another man." The woman answered, "No, but sometimes I fantasize about checking into a hotel and spending some time alone." I laughed out loud because that was so true. Being a wife and mother can sometimes be taxing. We are being pulled in many directions and needed by others all day long and often through the night too. Often times I day dream about having some relaxing time for just me. Today I had the choice to spend most of the day all by myself or go to the Sportsman's Expo with my husband and kids. All week long I planned on staying home, going grocery shopping alone (sounds great huh?), taking a nap, etc. I woke this morning to get my family ready for a day with dad and my kids kept asking why I wasn't coming. Over and over they said they wanted me to come. Though a day alone would have been nice, I decided to spend the day with my family. It turned out to be a great day filled with being with the ones I love. It is late Saturday night and my house isn't cleaned. My laundry isn't folded. I grocery shopped with my two kids. I didn't get a nap, but I had a great day. I spent it talking with my husband, holding hands with my kids, cheering them on as they caught a fish from a tank, and enjoying a good Saturday with the family. So though I may fantasize about a day alone, in the end, I would rather be with the greatest people in the world, my family!

Recipe for the Week: Shish-kabobs Gluten Free

(I am so ready for warm weather. Seeing all the grills and camping stuff today made me want to get outdoors. So even though it is cold outside, I am posting a good summer recipe.)

2-3 Chicken Breasts
Wishbone Italian Dressing (Gluten Free!!)
Green Peppers
Red Peppers
Mushrooms
Onions
Tomatoes
Shish-kabob sticks

In the morning, cut the chicken into large cubes. Put in a gallon bag with 1-2 cups of Italian dressing to marinade. Seal and put in the fridge.

Cut the vegetables in large cubes. Put in a gallon bag with 1-2 cups of Italian dressing to marinade. Seal and put in the fridge.

60 mins before grilling, put sticks in water. This helps them to not burn. Leave them in for about 20-30 minutes.

When sticks have soaked, push them through the vegetables or chicken to make a stick full of food. We like to make sticks that only have chicken and sticks that only have vegetables then we don't overcook the vegetables to make sure the chicken is done. Put the prepared sticks of food on the grill, turning often. When all cooked, ENJOY!





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joni, thanks for that great recipe. Who cares about the gluten free. I think I am going to try it tomorrow night.

Also, I know how it feels to want to be alone. Good luck. I am 57 and still rarely get a moment to myself. But family is where it is at. I love my family so much that it is worth it. Love, Mom

Rindi said...

Oh, I totally hear you about being alone. Greg hates for me to leave him here alone. I only dream about what that would be like!! He can't ever figure out what to do besides be lonely and bored. I can think of a million things I would want to do!

Tami said...

I don't like being alone either, Joni. Also, whenever I leave Nick alone for the night or something he is bored to tears. It seems easier to just stick together all the time.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...