Monday, September 12, 2011

Loving Vaseline ~ by Rindi


I grew up on healthy doses of Vaseline applied liberally everywhere and anywhere. Chapped cheeks? Vaseline. Chafing? Vaseline! Diaper Rash? Vaseline. Dry Hands? Vaseline. It was (and still is) my makeup remover and lip gloss. My mom used to buy it in big tubs. (She probably still does!)

My husband (the dermatologist) swears by it also. He recommends it for wound care, dry spots, eczema... He loves it. And I love it. What a perfect couple! I use it every day. Summers in St. George are HOT and dry, and try as I might I am in a constant battle to keep my poor heels from being cracked, ugly messes. My best defense is smothering my feet in Vaseline, putting on my striped fluffy socks and going to bed. (I use this same regimen for my hands in the winter when my knuckles crack and bleed. But ever since Greg told me to NEVER get dish soap on my hands, I haven't had the hand problem quite as bad!)

So the other night as I pulled on my socks and settled into bed, I started thinking about how thankful I am for Vaseline. My feet were covered in it. My lips were covered in it. (I have this dry spot on my lip that Greg thinks is a pre-cancer and needs to be frozen off. I am a little chicken about it and have yet to go into his office for the actual freezing. For now, Vaseline.) I also had it applied in certain other places that I shall not mention (let's just say "nursing preparation" and pregnancy "itchy" complaints and leave it at that!). I felt totally slimy, but by morning I was nice and moisturized! At least it wasn't in my hair...I have had more than one child completely cover their head with Vaseline! That is a little hard to get out.

I guess you could say that I love Vaseline. How could I not? I come from a long line of Vaseline lovers. Hmmm....I think my heels could use some right now....

P.S. Here are some "official" uses of Vaseline from their web site! Looks like I could find even more excuses to use it!
  • Vaseline is an effective moisturizer.
  • It is used as a key ingredient for conditioners of ethnic hair.
  • It is used in pomades to help users sculpt their hair.
  • Removes make-up.
  • When petroleum jelly is applied under the eyes, and can be used to prevent dirt or sand from irritating the eye.
  • Applying Vaseline to lips to helps to protect them from chapping.
  • Vaseline helps to prevent windburn by creating a barrier on top of the skin to protect it from the wind.
  • Put it on scrapes and cuts to use as a barrier to keep moisture out.
  • Make your own vapor rub using Vaseline and combining essential oils such as eucalyptus and mint oil.
  • It lubricates psoriasis and eczema prone skin to help get rid of the dry patches.
  • When applied thick to the scalp, it eliminates lice by smothering them.
  • It helps to heal burns and moisturizes the skin.
  • When placed under the nose, Vaseline can help minimize allergies by trapping pollen before it enters the nostrils.
  • It helps heal poison ivy lesions.

2 comments:

Em Russ said...

lol... I forgot about your vaseline love! How do you NOT get dish soap on your hands? Do you wear gloves??

Rindi said...

No, but I used to just wash my hands in dish soap. And I wash my hands a lot in the kitchen! Now I just try not to soak my hands in it or wash them in it. It really has made a big difference! :) But, if all else fails, there is always Vaseline. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...