Thursday, August 25, 2011

I was going to write about....written by Judi

I have been thinking all week about what I wanted to write about today.  I was going to write about marriage and how important it is (like THE most important thing here on earth) and how we should put more effort into it and not let our marriage become routine and comfortable....and ask for ideas on how to not let that happen... (don't worry, my marriage is fabulous! I just hate how I get sucked into worrying about the kids and forget to think about keeping my marriage fed.)

Then I was going to write about all the crazy thoughts I have if I stay up too late.  I start to go a little psycho and think things like I am a horrible mother, Thomas is getting picked on all day and crying a lot and William is slightly loco and I am not doing the best job I could, I am lazy and never exercise and am utterly doomed to become rolly polly, I have never looked cute in my entire life, I am the worst wife ever...Are you begging me to stop?  Yeah, so was Mike when I was ranting and pouting at 11:00 p.m., funny thing is that I woke up feeling just fine about life.  Lesson learned, don't evaluate your life at 11 pm.

Then I was going to tell you a story about how Thomas fell out of the shopping cart at Michael's and did a front hand spring onto the hard cement (he's ok) and how the store manager came out to talk to me because, well Thomas was standing in the cart which is a big no no.  It was rather embarrassing. (This incident may or may not have started my 11 pm rage into my worthiness as a mother!!)

Finally I decided to list my top five favorite kids t.v. shows, because all of the other subjects seemed dismal at the moment, and talking about t.v. seemed, well, frivolous and on days like today, I like frivolous. (I just ate a handful of potato chips...so frivolous!)

Ok, you ready for this.
1. Sesame Street.  It's classic, it's educational, it's cute and I watched it growing up and now am happy to let my kids watch it.  I never feel guilty if my kids are watching Sesame Street.

2. Team Umizoomi.  Surprised by this one?  I think it is cute and I love how it teaches math concepts without you realizing it.  The good thing about this one is that Thomas will watch it to.  This is the kind of show I turn on if I need a few minutes to think.

3. Word World.  I like how everything is made out of words. It is good to visualize the words into the things that they are.  It is clever and on PBS and I like it.

4. Calliou.  This show is real.  I like the way calliou learns and thinks and acts like an actual 4 year old boy would. 

5. Phineas and Ferb.  I know, no educational value to this one, but it is entertaining for me.  This is my show of choice if I am going to sit down with the boys and watch something with them. Its funny, its cute and its not shoot-me-in-the-head boring.

*disclaimer.  We don't watch t.v. all day.  And I wish we didn't have a t.v. but without a t.v. how can you watch BYU football?? And lets be honest, the t.v. is nice when I need to do something, like scrub a bathroom.


Pop some Popcorn and let the kids watch Sesame Street and don't feel guilty about it.  (And if you do feel guilty about it, don't bring it up to your spouse at 11 pm...it will lead to irrational thinking and he'll be glad if you forget to tell him about your bad mothering moments until the morning!)

2 comments:

Em Russ said...

I totally agree with you about the 11pm live evaluation. I did it the other day and it wasn't pretty either!! As for TV shows I LOVE Phineas and Ferb. LOVE. I think they are so cute and funny. Somehow I never get tired of that one! I also love Little Einsteins. They are always singing, which I think would get annoying, but nope. I still love it!

p.s. my kids fall out of the cart frequently. Don't let it get to you.

Tami said...

Judes, this was written so well! You are not the only one who is irrational at 11 at night. I'm lucky if I can even stay awake that long anymore. What would the world be like if we never had moments like that where we felt so insignificant and horrible. You are not alone in that, I have those moments as well as probably every other mom out there! Keep up the great work! You're an awesome mom!

P.s. I think you are one of the most beautiful people I know (and I seriously mean that) so if you ever feel like you've "never been cute a day in your life" remember that. Plus, I'm pretty sure we all have those moments too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...