Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Headaches - OUCH!

Takin' Time on Tuesdays with Joni

I am now 35 weeks along! That means in a few short weeks I will be holding a new sweet little package! I am so excited. The one thing that has been bothering me in this last part of pregnancy is bad headaches. Often they get so bad that the front of my face feels like it could blow off and I can't see very well. Tylenol just doesn't do much against these horrible headaches. One day I called my sister Judi who has suffered from migraines a lot of her life and asked what I could do. She said to drink a caffeine drink. Before these headaches, I was against caffeine drinks. I have had a sip or two of coke, but that is just about it. I really don't drink soda at all. I am a water or milk girl. So I must have been pretty desperate to load my kids in the car and drive to the store with very little vision. (Luckily I live next door to Harmons.) I guzzled a Mtn Dew without even thinking about it. I didn't buy coke because I think it tastes like medicine. I don't know how anyone enjoys that taste. After a short while the caffeine kicked in and I found relief. So my solution? Buy a big 12 pack of Mtn Dew and keep it in my fridge for "medicinal purposes."

The problem is, I do like the taste of Mtn Dew. Now that the temperature is rising, I often open the fridge and look at the nice, cold drink sitting in my fridge and I longingly want to drink it. But then I think, "Is this my body craving caffeine? Am I becoming addicted? Does my body create a headache to get a drink?" I know this sounds silly but it reminds me of when I was probably around 8 years old. I had a headache so I took an aspirin. After a while, it still wasn't gone, so I took another one. Then I learned you weren't suppose to take medicine so close together. You had to wait between doses. I became panicked. I was sure I was addicted to aspirin. That whole day I worried that I was craving aspirin. I didn't tell anyone this or they would have told me I was fine, but I was sure I was on the road to a heavy addiction to aspirin.

Luckily, I overcame that addiction and am sure that my desire for Mtn Dew is just a desire for something cold and sweet to give me some relief from being pregnant in the summer. But if you see me walking around with a Mtn Dew, remember, it is only for "medicinal purposes!"

Recipe of the Week: Grab a cold soda and enjoy!


1 comment:

Chazlyn Robbins said...

Joni! thank you for your gift, that was so thoughtful of you and your family! Wish we could have made it to the reunion, we heard it was so fun. I'm excited that we'll have babies similar ages so we can compare notes. Hope to see you soon!

Chazlyn

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...