Saturday, April 16, 2011

It's My Birthday and I'll Cry If I Want To...

Spicin' up Saturdays with Joni Today is my son's birthday. Because we weren't able to be together on this day, (I am off on my sister's weekend :) we celebrated it on Wednesday. I woke up thinking I would make it a great day. I got him a hat that he could wear all day making sure everyone knew it was his birthday. I planned the day to decorate his cake, decorate the house, get ready for a fun party, have a fun party, and end the day with opening presents. It was going to be a great day and I was going to be a great mom. There was only one problem. The birthday boy was a grump! He didn't want to do anything. He would throw the decorations. I would set up a game for his party, only to find it messed up. Many times he was on the floor flipping around in anger. This was so difficult. By the time the party even began, I was ready for this birthday to be over! So I learned why we sing the song, "It's my birthday and I'll cry if I want to" and why we give birthday spankings. After forcing him to bed and Jaron having to use some discipline, I was happy to conclude the day. As I reflected on the day I was almost in tears. This was suppose to be a great day. This was my celebration of bringing my perfect baby into the world. This was my celebration of enjoying the last four years of his life. Instead, it was a long day with many tantrums and lots of grumps. I don't know if being spoiled for one day is too hard to handle. Maybe it is an emotional overload. So I am glad we have that behind us. Hopefully my extremely sweet boy will return to me. Next year, I will hand him a sucker at the end of the day and say, "Happy Birthday!" Recipe of the Week: Hard Shell Tacos (Gluten Free) I haven't eaten Hard Shell Tacos since elementary school, but I brought them back when I found it was an easy meal to eat gluten free. Ingredients: 1 lb Hamburger Salsa (Pace Picante Sauce is gluten free) shredded cheese (shred your own, or Great Value brand says their shredded cheese is GF) shredded lettuce Sour Cream (Great Value brand is GF) Hard Shell Tacos (Ortega brand provides gluten free hard shell tacos, but not sold at my Walmart. I buy these at Maceys) Instructions: Brown the hamburger. When it is cooked through, add 1 cup of Salsa and heat up. I use the salsa as the seasoning since it is hard to find GF seasonings. Build your taco - add the hamburger to the bottom of the shell, put on cheese, more salsa, sour cream, lettuce and enjoy!

3 comments:

Rindi said...

Joni, that same thing has happened to us! It is hard to have the perfect day! Funny post!

jsfeatherstone said...

Joni, I seriously LAUGH so hard when I read your posts. They are my comic relief for the day so THANK YOU!!

--Shae

Anonymous said...

Joni, I can't tell you how many times you kids ruined a birthday or Christmas or going out to eat. It seems like kids get stressed when there is something special. Hang in there. One day Clark will apologize for ruining the fun. But don't hold your breath. It might be after he gets home from his mission. Next time don't tell him about the birthday until it is time for the party. Then he can't get all worked up throughout the day. Love, Mom

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...